All motion creates positive emotion. When you move throughout the day, you decrease cortisol (the stress hormone), you boost your metabolism and you naturally build optimism and fight inflammation!
If you’re looking for the best way to improve your health through movement, focus on these core ideas:
Perform exercises at short intervals with high intensity (walk at normal speed and then speed up for a minute or two, slow down for a couple minutes and repeat).
Exercise in the early morning. Morning movement will increase dopamine which will give you more confidence and motivation.
Try to incorporate 30 minutes of exercise into your daily routine. 30 minutes is all you need to live an amazing, long life.
Do resistance training. When we lift weights, we release a natural growth hormone (BDNF) whose job description ranges from cognitive excellence to youthful, radiant skin.
The most important thing to remember is you don’t have to make plans to run your first marathon, or join the nearest Cross Fit Gym. Start small.
Maybe your goal is just to exercise daily for 20 minutes. Begin with dedicating yourself to walking in place while you brush your teeth for the first week. The next week, do 10 to 25 jumping jacks while your coffee is brewing. You will have your 20 minutes achieved within weeks and a strong foundation of building blocks to keep your commitment strong.
Other ideas (choose one or more):
- Do lunges on your way to the bathroom
- Squat while you’re brushing your teeth
- Do 10 to 25 jumping jacks while waiting for your coffee or tea to brew
- Run in place during the morning news (during commercials run harder)
- Mid-morning, get up from your desk and use it for a modified push up support
- After lunch take a brisk 8 to 12 minute walk
- 3 pm–Do lunges to the kitchen or water cooler
- 5 pm–Run a lap around your car, your house or block
Read more about the POSTURE, EAT or THINK categories of “Get Your Awesome On!”